[RTTY] Writelog with MTTY

Bruce Sawyer n6nt at arrl.net
Wed Jul 16 18:58:47 EDT 2003

After listening to people extol the virtues of Writelog with a MMTY plug-in,
I finally disconnected my old TNC, hooked the SoundBlaster to the rig
(thanks to some help from AA5AU), then got the Rttyrite engine in Writelog
working with the sound card.  Then I downloaded MMTY and spent some time
learning how to use it.  At the time, it didn't seem that MMTY was decoding
as well as Rttyrite, but I didn't pay much attention to it.  Then today I
downloaded the MMTY plug-in and got Writelog set up to use the MTTY decode
engine.  I can now switch back and forth between the MMTY and Rttyrite
engines in one keystroke, so it's painfully obvious now that I'm getting
much better copy out of Rttyrite.  MMTY is working OK, but it generates a
lot more decode errors than Rttyrite.  What happened?  I've heard too many
people exclaiming over MMTY to believe this degraded performance I'm seeing
is "normal".  All I can guess is that the default decode algorithm and
parameters I'm using in MMTY are suboptimal, or perhaps my CPU isn't quick
enough to keep up with MMTY.  It's a 900MHz Celeron, which I would have
thought would be adequate, but it is running WindowsXP.  Does anybody have
any suggestions?

Bruce, N6NT