Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Tue Jun 10 14:37:35 EDT 2003

   From: Bill Turner <w7ti at ispwest.com>
   Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:11:52 -0700

   On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:19:57 -0400, Phil Florig <W9IXX at arrl.net>
   wrote:

   >I have been mostly chasing DX and have been "up in the air" about using
   >the /4.  I lets the person know that I am in 4 land but that is about it.
   >Most of the time for DX it doesn't matter to the DX station.  Problem is
   >when the DX calls for the "4's" am I ok to jump in the pile.  HI....
   >This has caused some problems as one DX station would not work me because
   >I jumped in with the /4 and he said I was a 9 and didn't get in the log.
   >When he got to the 9's he wouldn't respond to me. (Selective hearing???  HI.)

   As you mentioned elsewhere in your post, DXing is a different issue
   from contesting.  FWIW, I never use the /6 when DXing, ragchewing or
   anything but contesting.  The FCC says my call sign is W7TI,
   regardless of where I am in the US, and that's that.

   I have been tempted to use the /6 when a DX station asks for *sixes*,
   but so far I've been able to restrain myself.  :-)

If the DX station is smart, and working the propogation, then they
should honor the portable designator, since a station that's stroke-4
has the same propogation as the native 4's.

If it's just a control issue, then it's too easy for unscrupulous
DXers to attach a stroked number to jump the queue.  It's those people
who make it difficult for the DX station to actually know who is
abusing the system.  It's a lot easier to use the simple rule that
ignores propogation.  And if you're getting a lot of the unscrupulous,
it's VERY tempting to have selective copy.

I must admit, I'm more likely to work those who operate the way I
like, and less likely to work those who cause problems, even if they
think they're being "smart".  For instance, I hate "tail-ending" on
RTTY, because although a few people do it properly, many more do it
badly, and it breaks the rythmn.  That means, all other things being
equal, I'll work anyone else before I work a tail-ender.  Just my
little attempt at behavior modification.

73, doug