[RTTY] W7TI SOHP Sprint

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 9 17:49:59 EST 2003

It was interesting to see the difference between my two amplifiers.  My
big amp needs some new resistors in the parasitic suppressor, so I used
my SB-1000 at about 600 watts output.  After many contests, one gets a
feel for when there should be an immediate response and when not.  I'd
estimate the 600 watts was about 70-80% as effective as the 1500,
especially so on 40/80.  On those bands I all but gave up S&P'ing out of
sheer frustration.  Could not break the pileups.  I found I did much
better by CQing, QSYing, CQing and QSYing again, yo-yoing up and down
the band.  Weird, but it worked.

Took a while to get in a rhythm.  Sprint is a strange contest, not one
of my favorites.  I think it's good for the LP guys.

The details:

9     80m QSOs
49    40m QSOs
82    20m QSOs