[RTTY] Team Haiti 2003 Wrap-up

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 17:22:52 EST 2003

Daniel VE2SB wrote:
> Hi, I'm so confused about your calls. By convention when a ham use the "/"
> or "portable" that mean you are not in your call home land. As like in
> digital "K4QD/HH4", in phone "K4QD potable HH4" that it is clear for many of
> us, Jan is in Haiti. But in other way it's not clear. Maybe I'm in shot.
-------------------------

Well, international conventions now call for example, that it should
be HH4/K4QD.

US stations in any call area are not required to use a / designation.
( with some contests excepted ). However, if they choose to do so,
it's perfectly all right. But, it should be KL7XXX/W6 or KL7XXX/7. But
why use a portable designator when you don't have to if in your own
area.  There is just too much of this KL7XXX/WQ7 or /WY7 in the master
database. I'm not real sure, but I think you are required to use the
more simple /W7.

BTW, there are a couple of calls in the database such as
EA6/DL7???/QRP/P. Now I think I understand that he operated from EA6
and used QRP power, but why on earth use the /P?

One last thing, there are probably well over 200 calls in the database
such as TI/K4SB or the more common Caribbean prefixes. I can well
understand such, but if it was a couple of years ago, please let me
know so I can weed them out.  I will again be asking for logs, and
very much appreciate those who send them. But, it will be for 2003
only!

Lastly, I hope to get a new master.cal and friend. ini to Don in the
next few days. Now is the time for you to correct your name if I've
messed up. Got a VK and JA log and the number of new calls is
significant.

Oops, one more last thing...if anyone knows who the master of the RTTY
reflector is, would you please reply to me in a personal email?

73
Ed