[RTTY] RE: MFSK!

Larry L Lindblom llindblom at juno.com
Mon Mar 24 23:32:58 EST 2003

During one of the RTTY contest earlier this year there was a 4 in
Tennessee (I forget his call) who was guarding 14081 + or -.  Based on
tuning across that frequency numerous times when anyone sent a "CQ test"
he seemed to come back to them on RTTY an ask why they were CQing in the
"MFSK Band."   He was civil in his language during the brief periods I
listened.

This reminds me of the SSTVers on 20 meters.  The range of 14230 to 14236
can be dead with no signals, but Lord forbid anyone says "is the
frequency in use," doesn't get an answer, and then CQs.  Invariably an
SSTV signal appears out of nowhere on that frequency.

The regulations haven't changed and if a frequency isn't in use it should
go to the station that starts using it as long as the mode is legal.
And, to my knowledge about the only thing not allowed on 14081 or 14080
is phone.

73 Larry L
W0ETC