[RTTY] GU0SUP Anatolian contest

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon May 19 18:44:30 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Well, that was my best effort to date in this contest! Despite relatively
poor conditions, I still did better than expected.
I managed to work 9 out of the ten call areas in the US, missing only a W2
for the complete sweep. I had almost given up on getting a W8, as I assumed
you would all be at Dayton, but one came to my rescue!

I looked hard for Bill W7TVF, but only saw you being worked, and I had no
copy on your replies! I also tried calling CQ for long periods, but that
wasn't too successful.

I have to say that there were a couple of stations who insisted on calling
me when I was trying to exchange a report with another station, usually on
their frequency, and I had to repeat the exchanges too many times!
And why are so many stations still sending GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP DE XX1XX
XX1XX - especially when QSB is present? Several times I sent out YES, I KNOW
MY CALL - BUT WHAT IS URS?

I also got called by 1B0AS, who said he was in the Turkish area of Cyprus.
As he gave me 096 as a serial number, he obviously worked others too, so I
wonder how to log that call? I forced Writelog to call him Turkey, but I
don't think that is correct! Anyone have any bright ideas? Probably best
just to write off that contact?

My mini-beam was used all the time on the higher bands, and it outperformed
the G5RV totally! Most of the time, stations were inaudible on the G5RV,
whereas they were workable on the beam.
Now I need to sort out 80m, so maybe it is time to ditch the G5RV, and put
up wires for 40 and 80.

Looks like there were a lot of new calls in this contest too!

So, here is my effort for the contest:
         QSOs     Points     DX:     Call Areas
80m:      2          20         2             0
40m:     56        575       25            0
20m:    132      1455       40            11
15m:     98       1175        31            14
10m:      12        125         8             0
Total:  300      3350     106           25

Total multipliers: 131
Score:  438850

Thanks to TA9J for sponsoring the contest, and to all for the contacts,
especially those who had to struggle with my signal.

Very best 73 de Phil GU0SUP