[RTTY] Death of RTTY?

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon May 19 23:14:38 EDT 2003

I've read all the comments thus far.  It's an interesting discussion and hard
to discuss something many of us have not tried.

I tried PSK63 between my two radios.  I find it way too fast for contesting.
I didn't test is thoroughly and I forgot to try a few things.

As fast as it is, it's probably going to be too fast to tune.  And if you have to
be right on frequency as with PSK31, then it's not going to work for contesting.
It's simply too fast and most of us may not be fast enough to tune it even
though we will mainly just have to click our mouse on it.  Some of us still enjoy
turning the VFO on our radios.

On the other hand, RTTY being slower, it allows us to tune it in fast enough
to at least get some copy.  And heck, I can't tell you how many times someone
called me off frequency in a RTTY contest and MMTTY's AFC took too long
to tune it in but the HAL DXP-38 was still able to capture the call.

So it's stuff like that which is going to be important for any mode to surpass
RTTY (in contesting).  I understand there were over 800 logs turned in for CQ/RJ WW RTTY
last year which was a record.  And I heard in Dayton that the number of logs for
this year's ARRL RU will also be a record.  So RTTY's not going anywhere but
up right now.

Perhaps some day another digital mode will replace RTTY as the primo digital
contest mode.  But I seriously doubt it will be PSK63.  It's too fast.

73, Don AA5AU