[RTTY] Dayton RTTY Forum Presentations on the Web

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Tue May 27 23:02:29 EDT 2003

I hate to rub it in, but I will anyway :.)

Several years ago, I got dragged to the in-laws for Tnxgiving weekend
(CQWW CW weekend, for you RTTY-only guys). I made arrangements to
operate part-time at a big-gun multi station in the Cleveland area
(K8AZ). On Friday night, I was on 40 CW running a 2 over 2 stack,
with the upper antenna at 160 ft or so. The rate seemed kinda slow,
about 60/hour. I said to one of the regulars at the next rig, "I
can't get a good run going, only 60/hour." He replied, "Welcome to 8
land."
Got home Sunday afternoon (EPA, about 60 miles from the Atlantic
Ocean, as the RF flies) and thought I'd play around a little in the
contest with my own station  - same 2 el Yagi as K8AZ, mine at 86 ft.
First hour on 40 CW, worked 120 stations on 40m!
It also reminds me of when I lived 1 mile from the ocean in NH, in
the mid 80s. I was in a condo, so only had a dipole in an attic crawl
space, up about 30 ft. Europe was consistently 20-30 over 9 on 20 and
40m, on the wire!
73,
Barry W2UP

On 27 May 2003 llindblom at juno.com wrote:

> When I saw the presentations at Dayton I was in total agreement with all they said as they were all things that could help a score.  But they will not help as much from for a Black hole station.
>
> >From the black hole you have to learn to accept frustration.  Or, at least trying to learn to accept frustration.  You also have to learn to latch on to the occasional small reward/reinforcer.  As in when you bust through a pile-up of east coast stations for a rare mult in a DX test. Those
small thing help keep you going through the lean times (reading the contest results).

> For me the frustration is in knowing that a 3 high stack of TH-7s on 123 ft of tower and 4 square arrays on 40, 80, & 160 is never going to be competitive with the likes of W1ZT or other east coasters, let alone a bijou lander like AA5AU.  Or should, I be frustrated at being that poor an
operator?  Easier to blame location than my self;-)

> Some station in OH, MI, etc will claim to be in the black hole.  From my perspective they are in what I term the "mideast."  I call it that as those stations are typically 300 or more mile east of here.
>
> About five or more years ago there was an NCJ article that attempted to define the black hole by the polar aurora zone and having to beam through it to hit major population centers.  It seemed living in a state that bordered on the Missouri or Mississippi Rivers was a large part of the
criterion.  And, dear old Iowa has a border with both of those rivers which is why we are called the land between to rivers.