[RTTY] Tuning indicator and squelch algorithm

Oleg Skydan skidan at mail.ints.net
Mon Nov 24 23:16:56 EST 2003

Hi All !

I have added RTTY decoding capability for my HF DSP transceiver.
It works well, but I have some problems, so there are two questions for you:

1. Which tuning indicator would you suggest ? I have a limited space
on my display (128x64 dots LCD) and does not want to make any additional
hardware. Or maybe it would be better to move audio frequencies lower (say
down to 500 Hz) and tune by ear (I will have no problem with low tones and
RTTY generation, since it will be done in software at DSP IF ~16kHz) ?

2. My decoder suffers from the garbage characters receiving when no signal.
Could you recomend any reliable "RTTY squelch" algorithm ?

All the best !
Oleg
73 de UR3IQO