[RTTY] K1US re 2003 JARTS

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 20 10:36:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:20:31 -0700, Jeff Stai WK6I
<wk6i at twistedoak.com> wrote:

>yeah... I am relatively new at this, but I have developed the impression
>that AFC and NET are in the category of "things that are possible, therefore
>we should do them" - or as Douglas Adams roughly put it: "it seemed like a
>good idea at the time - kind of like digital watches". I leave them both off
>all the time.
>
>With the three indicators in MMTTY (an actual good idea!), plus whatever
>sense of pitch you may possess, it is so easy to quickly tune in a signal
>there is no reason to use NET on S&P - you ought to be there halfway thru
>"CQ TEST" - if you catch the trailing "CQ" (*) you can use the waterfall to
>estimate where to be on the next call.
>
>And if no one used AFC on S&P, there would be even less reason to use it
>CQing - and with a little practice with all of your indicators you should be
>able to zap them in with your split VFO or RIT within one callsign.
>
>(*) Still way too few CQers using the trailing CQ - got to the point where I
>would drop a call after tuning in "...ZZ9ZZZ K" in case it was a CQ and
>often be right! Also noticed some people calling me when I was not the CQer,
>probably for the same reason.
>
>next! - jeff wk6i

You may be new, but you catch on fast!

The only suggestion I might make is to try a scope for tuning in place
of the MMTTY indicators.  Once you have one, you'll never go back.
Here, I use an old KAM to generate the outputs to drive the scope.
Works fine, and I keep the MMTTY window minimized all the time.  With
the scope, you don't need it at all and that gives you more space on
the screen for other windows.

--
73, Bill W7TI