[RTTY] Trouble getting FSK to work

Nat Davis ndavis at vt.edu
Fri Oct 31 08:51:58 EST 2003

Folks,  I am new to RTTY and this list.  I hope you can help me with a
problem I am having getting FSK to work.

I use Writelog/MTTY to run RTTY with my Ten Tec Omni VI+.  AFSK with the
radio set to LSB is no problem and I have made contacts and had lots of fun.

To avoid the hassle of setting sound card and mic gains, I want to use the
"true" FSK mode on the Omni.  By a search of this list's archives, I found
that the Omni does not need the transistor circuit interface on the serial
TxD-to-mark/space FSK input line.  I built a cable last night that seems to
work....

I tested my Omni FSK setup by using my FT-817 as a monitor.  The 817 was
set to the LSB mode to drive MTTY on a second computer.

I set the 817 displayed frequency to 21.100 MHz.  I then set the Omni to
the same display frequency and transmitted AFSK (to the dummy load) with
the Omni in the LSB mode.  The 817 received it just fine.

I then changed the mode of the Omni to FSK (and selected FSK in the "misc"
menu of MTTY).  In this mode, the Omni displays the mark frequency rather
than the suppressed carrier frequency that it did when in the LSB
mode.  For the 817 to "hear" the Omni, I lowered the Omni displayed
frequency by the 2.125 KHz mark frequency offset to 21.097.8 MHz.  The 817
copied my FSK signal just great!

Having passed this "test," I figured I was all set to go.  I switched the
Omni to my antenna and found XE1L in Mexico calling CQ.  I tuned him in
using the MTTY tuning indicator and then responded to his call.  He did not
answer.  After a second CQ response, some other op came on and told XE1L
that I was calling XE1L "off frequency" and suggested that "maybe his RIT
is on."  XE1L tuned me in without changing his xmit frequency.  We made the
QSO but XE1L  confirmed that he was receiving me off of his xmit freq and
wondered what I was doing to cause it.   Darned if I can figure it out!!

My RIT was not on and I am at a loss to explain what was going on or if I
was doing anything "wrong"  -- especially since everything seemed to work
as expected when monitoring the Omni using the 817....

Can anyone offer me suggestions?

Many thanks.

Nat Davis
N4EL