[RTTY] SCC Logging question

Robert Bajuk s57aw at hamradio.si
Tue Sep 2 21:37:23 EDT 2003

Hi Jon & others RTTY Contesters,

Thanks for pointing out this topic. There was a discussion about to sign or
not to sign /area for US hams. A lot of contesters support that idea and
have nothing against that, some others refuse to sign /area because FCC
rules don't require that. Rules are never good enough for all of us:-))

The answer on your question is very simple. I am talking on behalf of SCC
RTTY Contest Committee.

It is strongly suggested and correct to log it as you copied.  The claimed
score in the Cabrillo file is completely ignored and we recalculate and
rescore the logs when they are processed. For US station is not difficult to
check their real call area based on his state. Of course, it is much easier
for us if everyone would respect the rules and indicate their real call
area.

You might be deprived for the points in cases when one station didn't send
/area and he will not submit his log to the sponsors. Nothing can be done in
cases like that or better said - is too complicated:-))

In the cases when station somehow "concealed" their real location and call
area with the intention to improve the final score, final decision will be
reached by the Contest Committee. It may happen that log will be used as a
check log only or even more drastic measures can be taken in cases of
"deception".

But we all should know about the ham-spirit and fundamental principles of
hamradio or we forgot that?

73 Robert, S57AW
SCC RTTY Manager