[RTTY] Thanks JARTS!

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 22 21:40:27 EDT 2003

Today I received a very nice certificate from the Japanese Amateur
Radio Teleprinter Society for 1st Place World Single Op in the 2002 JARTS RTTY
contest.

This achievement was 11 years in the making for me.  Some of you know of
the story of the very first JARTS RTTY contest in 1992 when I placed 2nd
to Eddie, ex-G0AZT operating from P40RY.  The story is that Eddie along
with Ron, KP2N, Frank N0FMR and myself had travel to Aruba in September for
the CQWW RTTY Contest.  When we tried to come back to the states,
US Immigration would not allow Eddie to get on the flight.  To make a long
story short, Eddie got "stuck" on Aruba and entered JARTS.  He naturally
won the contest.  So in all the years since then, I made it a goal to win JARTS
at least once from my home QTH.  I came close in 2001, but realized my
goal in 2002.  It is an achievement I am very proud of.

Thanks to JARTS for the excellent contest and to all that worked me.  I am
looking forward to this weekend's CQ WW and next month's JARTS!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com