[RTTY] K1US CQWW SOAH

Jon Harder jon at praxisworks.org
Mon Sep 29 14:45:00 EDT 2003

A fantastic couple of days. Really enjoyed using the new 2 el hybrid 6 band
quagi from TGM, and the smooth and sweet TS-2000 pair.  Spent Friday and
early Saturday on S&P struggling with what turned out to be a simple
Murphy's mechanical coax fault.  I could TX ok with full power, but after
the return to RX things were often too quiet until I hit the TS-2K antenna
tune button for one quick burst that temporarily reset the intermittent --
sometimes.  Glad I had the big 80 meter loop and GAP vertical one switch
away to complete the QSOs. (Apologies to any who wondered about my sudden
deafness, "cured" Saturday am by replacing a faulty coax barrel connector,
which was thankfully in the cellar and not somewhere inaccessible. )

As my state is ME, I found myself having to give too many repeats yet again
this year, while realizing again that the US contingent includes all too
many easily confused state abbreviations starting with M. (MA, ME, MI, MN,
MO, MS, MT -- did I miss any?)  Are the M states disadvantaged above the Ns,
As, etc.?

Then on Sunday I decided to try an experiment, putting MAINE right into the
CQ call. Wow -- the lights went on! Not only did I have NO more repeat
requests, but hours of mini-pileups on 15 and 20. Sorry if I missed anybody.
Reminded me of the old days getting swamped on 80 meter CW at OE2ZDL and
DU1POL. The rate just soared, and I seldom had to send the CQ at all. Of
course the great propagation helped a lot.

I realize that ME is not exactly rare, but there are a lot more folks out
there than I had realized wanting to complete their WAS, etc., as well as
wanting a new mult for the contest.

Highlights were being called by 9J2KC, EX9A and JY9QJ. Worked VK9NS, JE1ZWT
and D4B all on my first S&P call. The little beam really does help, even at
only 35 feet. Tom at TGM really makes a great product at an amazingly low
price.

A new personal record for me, 562 QSOs and score of 369,462.  WriteLog and
MMTTY were flawless throughout.    Thanks to all, and CU in JARTS.

73 to all,

Jon, K1US         in MAINE - that "rare" DX spot! 8)

PS - Although my logs since moving in 1999 are posted on LOTW, I still hope
to complete eWAS from this QTH at eQSL, and just need confirmations from MT,
UT, CT, DE and ND. All are worked in last 3 years, just no e-confirmations.
Thanks if you can help.