[RTTY] fluttered signals

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Apr 18 18:11:56 EDT 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 1:34 PM, Jacques RAMBAUD wrote:
> -what causes the signal to be so difficult to copy ? multipath ?....?
> -Why is MMTTY unable to deal with such signal?
> -Is there any other way , or RTTY decoder that are better in this
> respect , how old TU with discrete filters (88mh) works ?
> -Are the KAM or PK232 better ?
> any litterature on the subject?

If it sounds odd and fluttery and difficult to print even when the
signal is loud, it is pretty likely to be multipath.  It can happen not
just from transpolar circuits but trans-equatorial as well.  I get a
lot of flutter across the pole from Europe, but I have also noted some
pretty bad flutter from across the equator with loud S9 signals in
Portland from FO5, for example.  One time when JA1ELY was at PY0FF, his
PSK31 signals were fluttered beyond copy (but his RTTY signal was still
barely printable).

My opinion is that simple modems such as the KAM are not going to
behave better than the software modem you used.

What makes it so hard to decode?  The HAL ST-8000 Technical Manual
says: "Multi-path propagation of an RTTY signal may cause differential
fading or severe pulse distortion of the signal."

I think the "differential fading" is a specific instance of the
selective fading that we all have learned to hate.

The "pulse distortion" is understandable from observing that any square
pulse signal is made up of different Fourier components.  If all
components do not arrive at the same time instance, the result is no
longer be square. When it is severe enough, this can cause the Mark
detector output and the Space detector output to actually overlap
(usually, when the Mark tank detects a signal, the Space tank circuit
will not see anything since you do not transmit both Mark and Space
tones simultaneously -- which you can in some other modes, but not in
Binary FSK).

The ST-8000 has a very simple circuit (just a handful of gates) which
takes the detected mark signal and the detected space signal and forms
an output signal from the combination to estimate a signal whose mark
and space do not overlap; pretty much an exclusive-OR type gate
configuration.  (The ST-8000 has detector settings for normal, mark
only, space only, and multipath.)

RITTY has selectable matched filters that are designed for different
propagation conditions, but I don't know any more than that since I
don't run that software.

I have been planning for some time to investigate DSP counter-flutter
implementations, but have never gotten around to it.  I have even
bought a used ST-8000 for the time I have more free time to investigate
it and would need a reference modem to compare against.  For now
however, except for some recorded sound files, this is as much as I
know.

73
Chen, W7AY