[RTTY] fluttered signals

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 02:37:09 EDT 2004

Bill Turner wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:34:18 -0000, Jacques RAMBAUD wrote:
>
>>-Is there any other way , or RTTY decoder that are better in this
>>respect , how old TU with discrete filters (88mh) works ?
>>-Are the KAM or PK232 better ?

>In my experience, MMTTY is much better than the KAM or the HAL DXP-38,
>and from what others say, likewise much better than the PK232.
>
>There is a soundcard program called RITTY by K6STI which performs better
>than MMTTY, but not by a huge margin.  It is not free - $100.00 -  and
>requires MS-DOS and certain ISA-only soundcards, but it is the best of
>the commonly available RTTY decoders.  The very high-end HAL products
>such as the ST-8000 may or may not be superior to RITTY but I've not had
>a chance to test them side by side.
>
>When I operate RTTY contests, I have my main logging computer running
>MMTTY and a second computer with the same audio feed running RITTY.
>What MMTTY misses, RITTY often gets.  It is rarely the other way around.

Anyone care to share their favorite MMTTY setups (including the
details)? I'm experimenting with dual instances of MMTTY, but can't see
any really consistent differences.

Also, a friend has a shiny PK-232 that has been sitting unused for
years... if I made him an offer and did the RTTY conversions, would it
be worth the money and effort?

--
73 from Ian G3SEK