[RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?

DJ3IW Goetz dj3iw at t-online.de
Tue Apr 20 18:36:35 EDT 2004

Hi,
let me add some comments about RTTY copy with the PTC-II.
Walter, DL4RCK and myself bugged the programmmer of the PTC-II
firmware about this less than optimal RTTY performance several
times many years ago. Although he did listen to our comments he
freely admitted that their primary interest was Pactor (at that
time) level 2.
I noticed that the PTC-II when set to standard 170Hz shift copies
RTTY much better than with the 200Hz setting required for Pactor 2.
In contesting (WL) I use the PTC-II as my main RTTY machine in FSK
mode and MMTTY as a second decoder. Under critical condx MMTTY is
about 80% better than the PTC-II but there are about 20% of cases
when the PTC-II has better copy.
One thing I noticed all the time: When people start their transmission
without CR/LF and/or additional spaces, the PTC-II (MixW too) always
misses the first 2 or 3 characters and prints garbage instead whereas
MMTTY has almost all the time perfect print.

73 de Goetz
dj3iw at t-online.de