[RTTY] A repository of (poor) RTTY recordings?

George Johnson w1zt at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 08:46:16 EDT 2004

Chen,
RITTY does a form of what you are suggesting.  It will attempt to decode a
callsign and upon a second occurrence of the pattern it will try to
reconstruct a "correct" callsign of the two different versions.  I think
Brian uses a maximum likelyhood algorithm test of the received
symbols.  What appears on the screen is a slightly delayed "estimate" of
the corrected callsign which I have found to be accurate more than half of
the time.  The corrected text comes out in a different displayed color on
the RITTY screen but that distinct display is not used when RITTY is
coupled to WriteLog.  I just get a somewhat delayed print which I know to
be the estimate.

This all makes for interesting signal processing but I also observe that
there are some pretty vulnerable characteristics to our two frequency
Baudot encoding and modulation system.  Polar flutter and backscatter
multipath distortion are pretty rugged conditions.  The best signal
processing minds have played with these problems and Hal equipment has had
some of the best solutions ... at a cost.  The software solutions like
RITTY have worked pretty well for me at this point.  But there have been
frustrating times that I just wished the DX station had just sent a quick
ID in CW so I could confirm the printed callsign gibberish...  Hi Hi...
73, George .. W1ZT