[RTTY] MMTTY settings

Phil Cooper Phil.Cooper at cwgg.cwplc.com
Thu Apr 22 06:41:32 EDT 2004

Hi all,

After having confirmed my thoughts with Oba san JA7UDE, it may be useful to
realise that there are other factors that will have an effect on how well
MMTTY copies a signal.

Firstly, the volume of the signal going TO to the soundcard. Too high and
you will get distortion, as well as saturating the decoder. Too weak, and it
just can't cope.

Secondly, the quality of the soundcard you are using. Some of the more well
known ones are less than ideal! See
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/index.htm for an idea of what I mean.

Lastly, I also suspect that the PC itself may have various effects on the
signal. The cabling between the radio/interface/soundcard may well pick up
noise, and on top of that, you have all the various sprogs produced by the
PC and monitor(s).

So for example, if Bill W6WRT was copying my signals with severe polar
flutter, and he noted the settings, I am not convinced that that anyone else
hearing my signal could use those same settings and get the same quality of
copy.
I still think the tests would be useful, so the next time I hear a signal
that doesn't copy as ell as it might, I will attempt to work it first, and
then stop MMTTY, start the Windows recorder, and record what comes out of
the radio. I will then try feeding that into MMTTY and see what effects the
settings have.

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Cable and Wireless.

Information held on any of Cable and Wireless'
computer systems is the property of Cable and Wireless.
Cable and Wireless reserves the right to monitor
and review the content of all information, messages and
attachments sent to or from this e-mail address.