[RTTY] Sound Card Comparison (Soundmax On MoBo, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and M-Audio Revolution)

Phil Duff NA4M na4m at arrl.net
Sat Apr 24 10:29:08 EDT 2004

At 04:05 3/24/2004, Robert McGwier wrote:

>The best of all the 16 bit cards I have tested is the Turtle
>Beach Santa Cruz.  The SB Live looked about like the Soundmax
>and I tossed it straight into the trash when I got the Turtle
>Beach.
>
>You are looking at frequency response, noise floor, dynamic range,
>total harmonic distortion, and crosstalk between channels.
>

>are two of the Santa Cruz panels.  First is the input mixer panel
>and the second is the output mixer panel.  The first makes it
>clear that there is no mute on the input and line in and microphone
>are the same control with two different plugs.  Internally, they
>differ by an amplifier for the microphone.

Can someone quantify the differences in the TB Santa Cruz versus run of the
mill sound cards in real day-day RTTY/PSK QSO's using MMTTY, etc.

Does the Santa Cruz copy 10% better?  20% better?  1 character in 1000
better?  Or are the differences mostly in the specs and don't show up for
the most part in regular RTTY/PSK QSOs?

73 Phil NA4M