[RTTY] RTTY YV0D

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Wed Aug 4 08:04:37 EDT 2004

Well, I actually stumbled across YV0D last night on 20 without knowing
anything about the expedition...
We had a horror day at the office, stumbled home late, xyl fixed some
supper (microwave yuck out of freezer) because we were both too tired
to go out, set up the lawn sprinklers, fed the fish,  and about 8:30 I
stumbled out to the barn for a quick half hour of rtty or cw...
Started with rtty and immediately found YV0D who was a solid S8...
Listened to him for two go arounds... Each time I could faintly hear
the "other station"... Waited until he called QRZ, and fired a call at
him...
Instantly an S9+20 kilocycle cop called me an 'IDIOT'...  I don't have
thin skin, but that seemed a bit strange, so I paused...  One exchange
later someone else called on his frequency and another cop said, 'UP
UP'...  Ahaa, the light dawned...  I tuned up, and found the band full
for about 12 kc...
By now the IDIOT insult had taken the pleasure out of it, so I turned
off the gear and went to bed...

For the IDIOT hurler (unilkely to be on here, but you never know):
He was not calling for UP in his macro and I did listen to a couple of
Q's before transmitting
Some folks do not monitor packet or the net 24/7 - I find my own DX
It did sound like he was working simplex (probably back scatter from
folks calling on his frequency)
A simple 'UP' would have sufficed

Denny -  K8DO