[RTTY] Re: AFSK/FSK etc

Schulz Jonathan jonathan.schulz at siemens.com
Thu Aug 12 16:28:54 EDT 2004

Being a guy who "willy nilly" downloaded some software I appreciate your
explanation, so while I really don't use packet, (except to check wwv
ocaisionally by telneting into someones cluster) IF I ever spot someone I'll
try to post the correct frequency.

Now will someone explain low and high tones to me? ;-)

73
Jon
K9JS

August 12, 2004 12:22 PM  Chen, W7AY wrote

On this, I agree completely with Phil.

The problem stems more and more from computer consumers who willy nilly
download some software and just because they can get the other side to
print what they type by clicking on some icons on the computer display,
assume that everything is under control (as in "the control op knows
what he is doing").

I have attempted to explain it for the Mac community with a
documentation that can be found at

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/cocoaModem/Documentation/main.html

In Appendix A (after Section 8) there is a discussion of RTTY and in
Section A.4 of the Appendix is a section on "Where am I transmitting?"

(I should have said "Where does Riley Hollingswood think I am
transmitting?" but this doc is intended for an international audience,
HI)

Not that I have any illusion that this application's users will bother
to read it.  I have considered putting it in a splash window like when
you have to agree to a software license, but I figure nobody reads
_that_ either.  Mac users are just as apt at not RTFM as Windows users
are.

That said, I think PSK31 PacketCluster spots are way more broken than
RTTY spots.

73
Chen, W7AY