[RTTY] Conditions etc

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Aug 23 13:07:28 EDT 2004

Hi again.............

When I posted my claimed score, I said conditions were not good, but now
that I have looked at my log for SARTG, I have to wonder whether that is
stricly true!
Besides, I am sure things will get worse before they get better!

For example, I have ZL2AMI in the log on 40, 20 and 15, although the 20m
contact was the hardest, and close to the end of the last session.
In the first session, I logged K9MUG/4, W3FV, VE2RYY, AA5AU, ZL2AMI, NO2T,
and LU1NDC on 40m between 0500 and 0600, all with very good signals, (along
with the usual EU stations). A bit later, VK3DBQ called me on 20m.
The second session wasn't short of DX either, with KP2, BX, YB, DU7, AD6WL,
YV and HI in the log.

The last session was definitely not as good, and it was mostly EU stations
in the log. It isn't a good sign when I can work G, GM and GI on 20m!

Yes, 10m was poor, but that is what we can expect at this time of the cycle.
However, Martin 4Z8EE had a huge signal at times!
15m was open, but sporadically, and not all the time, but there were some
good ones out there.

The most notable problem for me was the lack of being able to work many W/VE
call areas. I missed out on W7 and W8, which I kind of assumed I would, but
I could not get a W1 either!
I think I was called by KB1JZU, but he didn't return, so Mike K4GMH got the
serial number instead.
A shame a couple of W6's weren't signing /portable, and that may be a
problem for them, or us, or both!
Despite that, I did work AD6WL, and with a good signal too.

I also saw VE7GL, W6WRT, K0FX, and a few others that aren't normally
workable from here, but they were S&P sadly.

And what has happened up in TF land? I worked 3 different TF stations and
saw another one! That's more TF stations in one contest than I have seen in
a long time! Well done guys!

>From here, 20 was very crowded, with loads of stations calling over each
other, badly driven signals etc.
I also had a few occasions of folk just CQ'ing over the top of me, usually
mid contact, and I can't believe they didn't hear something.
Like Goetz, I also noted a few spots for juicy DX, only to find the spotter
on that frequency! Oh what a coincidence!

Very 73 for now
Phil GU0SUP