[RTTY] Distortion

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Aug 24 14:27:09 EDT 2004

On Aug 24, 2004, at 9:35 AM, W0YR at aol.com wrote:

> So, an S9 FSK signal has no unwanted garbage (aside from key clicks).

Unless your rig happens to be a "keyed FSK" rig, such as the FT-990,
FT-1000D, FT-1000MP and many more.  The keyed FSK signals go through
the same balanced modulator path as AFSK does.  So the same linearity
rules apply to the stages following the balanced modulator as they do
to AFSK.

> An S9 FSK signal STILL can be heard 2.125 kHz away at S2 to S3 !!
> That's
> louder than a lot of QRP signals.

Here is where AFSK can do better than FSK...

FSK sidebands are pretty much controlled by the the rise and falls
times of the modulating ("keying") signal.  With AFSK, you have at
least two controls.

You can use continuous phase modulation to practically reduce the first
order discontinuity to very small amounts.

Secondly, you can apply a steep bandpass filter around the AFSK signal
(I have no idea how many software modems actually do that, but I know
of at least one that does) to reduce the modulation sidebands -- you
can get modulating sidebands that are 300 Hz from the center frequency
(600 Hz total bandwidth) to fall off to nothing.

This AFSK "roofing"  does not practically degrade the printability of
the signal, as observed by people being able to print RTTY perfectly
fine using 500 Hz and even 250 Hz receive filters.  But it helps reduce
your modulation sidebands (and allow you to apply that just little bit
more of the transmit power to where it counts -- but don't tell any of
the "QRO forever" guys :-).

The bottom line of course is that the linearity of stages in the rig is
very important when you are using AFSK whether or not you apply any of
the AFSK cleanup countermeasures.

BTW, the FCC has recently tightened the rules on spurii on commercial
Amateur equipment. 40 dB now.

73
Chen, W7AY

P.S.  why don't we get on the air some weekend to do some signal
comparison stuff?  Perhaps a roundtable where people can play with ALC
levels and see what others report.  Everyone can benefit from hearing
what well tuned and overdriven signals sound like.  Especially when
they discover that overdriven signals are actually harder to copy!