[RTTY] Distortion

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Aug 24 14:53:26 EDT 2004

On Aug 24, 2004, at 11:18 AM, VE3XD wrote:

> So the question is whether it's worth the effort to make the switch. I
> have
> done very well in the past with AFSK. I have got to wonder whether
> anyone
> has ever noticed the difference. Especially as I only run low power.

Here are my two cents.

If the Mark V is like its predecessors, the Yaesu FT-1000MP and the
FT-1000D, then even the RTTY position of the rig works by using AFSK
internally.

Unlike "direct FSK" rigs, these "keyed FSK" rigs have a built-in AFSK
generator.  So the difference between using AFSK ("Packet") and FSK
("RTTY") is whether you are using the AFSK generator that is your
computer, or the built in one in the rig.

So, if you operate without a single of the ALC bars lit, then IMO you
are just as clean as operating "FSK" from that rig.

I used to have my 1000MP's meter set to show Power/SWR.  Now that I
have transitioned from FSK to AFSK, I seem to have my meter sitting
most of the time at Power/ALC :-) :-).

Notice that Yaesu specifies J1D as the emission mode (SSB, subcarrier,
data), instead of the usual emission designator for FSK - F1B
(frequency modulation, digital, machine reception).  So at least they
are honest about it.

73
Chen, W7AY