[RTTY] Distortion

A.J. Cioffi registered at hvc.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 07:14:34 EDT 2004

Generally speaking, if you are using the FSK circuit of your radio, you need
not adjust anything other than your power output since the radio is
generating the Mark and Space tones.  One already assumes that the radio is
in functioning order for this to be true, so there will be no distortion.

If you are using AFSK (where an external device is creating the tones) those
levels of audio being pumped into the audio circuit need to be at a certain
level; enough of a level to produce an acceptable output while also being
able to crank it up to 100 watts without distortion.  I have found through
experimentation with most sound cards, a 48:1 voltage divider works very
well for AFSK use on the 1000MP.  Anything lower or higher will greatly
attenuate the inbound level or over drive the audio circuit.  You should be
able to run 50 watts of power without seeing many (if any) ALC levels.  This
is all predicated on using the PACKET receptacle. I have not tried the mic
connector although I don't believe that there will be much of a difference.

Remember that there are a couple of inbound adjustments that need to be
made.  Your sound card and the mic gain.  In order to minimize the infinite
amount of variable between the two, keep your sound card at a fixed level.
Adjust your mic gain on the radio for your desired output power.  You should
not see any major ALC levels on the MP.  Then - have fun.

Tony - N2KI
SYSOP - N2KI DX CLUSTER
dxc.n2ki.com:7300
RF Gateway 145.650