[RTTY] Distortion

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Wed Aug 25 12:14:20 EDT 2004

On afsk, one thing you have to be very careful of
is rf getting into the transmitted audio. I tried
afsk in my first rtty contest, and ran into problems
on 15 meters. I had to turn off the amplifier on that
band. Fortunately, I was listening to the monitor, and
was able to detect the fuzzy-sounding signal.

Kenwood radios seem especially sensitive to rf, if the
13 pin DIN connector is used for the afsk audio input.
The mic connector, with suitable attenuation, is much
better from an rf standpoint for Kenwood rigs. Even
better, of course, is to use the FSK jack.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA