[RTTY] More on RTTY Frequency

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Aug 29 14:42:11 EDT 2004

On Aug 29, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Dick Kriss, AA5VU wrote:
> He came back saying he was reading
> 14085.3.  I thanked him for sharing and after the QSO I noted my
> Kenwood
> TS-570D(G) was displaying 14089.33.

His/your reference oscillator may be off.  Could be both :-).

In fact, I had just yesterday opened up my FT-1000MP and adjusted my
TCXO.   I'd not bothered to check since upgrading the rig with the
TXCO-6 years ago and when I recently checked, I'd found that it had
drifted by 70 Hz.

A TCXO only assures temperature stability, not absolute dial reading
unless you calibrate it against a known good source.

A good way for us RTTY guys to figure out how far off the reference
oscillator is, is to place your rig into RTTY mode (or AFSK etc) and
then tune precisely to 10.000.00 (or whatever Excel spreadsheet you are
using says the dial reading should be :-).   If you can, don't tune
with the rig's VFO dial, either key the frequency in from a keypad or
use computer control to set the frequency.

With the rig in RTTY mode, WWV's carrier should now appear where the
mark tone should be.  You can then watch how far off the tone is either
on a cross ellipse display, a spectrum or a waterfall display.  Adjust
the reference oscillator until WWV's carrier is smack on top of the
mark tone.

You can of course do it by zero beating WWV by ear in LSB or USB modes,
but you can do it easier with the tools we RTTY'ers already have.

73
Chen, W7AY