[RTTY] VU4NRO on RTTY - soon

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 13:52:18 EST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 8:33 AM, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
> I think almost everyone on the "keys" needs VU4, I know I do,
> that makes two !!
> But considering the signal levels here in W1 land, I do not hold
> out much hope.

I am with Dick on this one.  You have to hear them first before you can
work them -- in any mode.  And I have yet to get a whiff of a hint that
there is a signal at the frequencies they are spotted at (on phone or
CW).

I am pretty agnostic on which mode to work them, but I should have a
better chance with PSK31 because of the signal handling properties of
PSK versus non-coherent FSK (about a 10x power difference when you
account for raw BPSK vs non-coherent FSK, and add to that the bandwidth
difference).

This does not even count the operating skills/habits of the op at the
other end -- digging through an RTTY pileup must be murder for the DX
end and I sincerely hope that they'll use narrow IF bandwidths on RTTY
rather than pointing and clicking on the waterfall for RTTY signals.

73
Chen, W7AY