[RTTY] 160 RTTY

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Fri Dec 31 09:07:24 EST 2004

Tom - I haven't been following this thread, but being a long-time 160 meter
and RTTY person I feel compelled to respond.  There are several issues that
should be addressed prior to pushing forward for an RTTY contest on 160.  An
important one is what is considered the digital "portion" of the band.  Last
time I looked, there were differences between the regions and that has
caused some problems in the past.  Perhaps a more important problem is the
proliferation of the use of AFSK among RTTY operators who have no idea what
they're doing.  Recently I've been looking at RTTY signals on 20 meters
using Digipan for its display capabilities.  Many of the RTTY signals I've
seen are simply DREADFUL, with multiple sidebands probably caused by
overdriving the audio input on the transceiver.  Others have hum problems,
probably caused by improperly grounded interface lines.  Some of these
signals are incredibly broad.

For those not very experienced in 160 meter operation, here's why these
things can be a big problem.  Unlike the other bands, you'll hear all the
other USA stations that are on ALL THE TIME during the hours of darkness.
It won't take many over-driven signals to muck up the band for everyone.

K8AC