[RTTY] RTTY Roundup Practice Thu

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 31 13:59:45 EST 2004

I wish this practice was longer.  I found a few problems last night while
running WriteLog networked with TCP/IP.  I've reported the problems back to the
beta testers and to Wayne, W5XD.  With the RTTY lockouts enabled (last one
wins), the transmitters were dropping before the buffers were sent.  This was
great cause for concern.  I went back to NetDDE networking with WriteLog and
everything ran fine.  But by the time I got everything back working, the
practice was just about over.

I only worked 11 stations, so maybe tonight I'll get a better feel.  I will be
running a pair a new Icom IC-756PROIII's in the Roundup if I feel comfortable
enough with them.

I'm looking forward to next week's practice sessions.  Can they be extended to
one hour?  What's the schedule for Thursday and Friday's practice sessions?

I wasn't surprised at the lack of signals on 20 meters last night, but I was
surprised by the lack of participation in the practice.  I would have thought
there would have been more taking part.

I've read some reports of the PRO III introducing noise in the receive when
using narrow filters on CW, especially on 80 meters.  I was using the 250 hz
RTTY filter on 80 last night and didn't experience a problem.  I'll look at it
closer in next week's practice.

73, Don AA5AU