[RTTY] Cut numbers in RTTY -- why?

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Mon Feb 16 16:40:32 EST 2004

Also a plea,

Please send serial numbers at least twice, seperated from 599. There are
enough observable bit errors on rtty that sending a serial number only once
will result in an undetected bit error. This leaves me with just two
options. Believe what I received and log it (there is a large probability
that it is in error) or ask you to repeat it (which takes up more of your
time then if you just sent it twice to start with). Often enough even if
you send it twice they will disagree and I have to ask for a repeat anyway.

And another suggestion. Repeat the called station near the end of your
messages. Often the call sign is missed or garbled at the beginning and we
just sit there until someone asks for a retranmission. (deadly embrace).
You are waiting to get a response from me. But I did not see my call, or
anything close to it at the beginning of your message so I am waiting on
you to finish with some other stations so I can call again.

That and sending my call sign multiple times and yours just once. I know my
call sign, if you are answering my cq, chances are good you are calling me
(not always the case but usually). What I need is your call several times.
With fading channels, we waste the good propagation sending my call sign
when I need your report. Quickly, while your signal is still there so we
can make a valid qso.

Hopefully we tell the newbies about these lists so they can be learning.
Even us old-timers are still learning. HI

Jerry, W6IHG

At 10:04 AM 2/16/2004 -0500, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>This weekend, I copied the following stations sending cut numbers (5NN):
>
>         KU4J WW7OR WY4Y NR4X VE7FO
>
>My question is WHY?  It takes an extra character to transmit:
>
>         <FIGS>5<LTRS>NN
>
>instead of:
>
>         <FIGS>599
>
>I wonder if this is a "feature" of Writelog if you have cut numbers
>enabled for CW?
>
>73 - Jim AD1C
>
>--
>Jim Reisert AD1C, 7 Charlemont Court, North Chelmsford, MA 01863
>USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
>PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net