[RTTY] Cabrillo help, PSE K

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Wed Feb 18 09:25:04 EST 2004

Hi,

I just got back into RTTY after having been AWOL since the 1996 RTTY RU.
I'm using MMTTY which works just wonderfully for me.

However, I wanted to make a more serious effort in CQ WPX than I did in
this year's Roundup (about 120 Qs), the BARTG (less than 50), or the XE
(about 90) so I looked at N1MM's logger.  I would have had more in the
first two had I figured out the dupe checking in MMTTY a little sooner.
:-)

Let me just say up front that most of my electronic life for the past
dozen years has been in the UNIX and more recently Linux world, so I have
an extreme bias against proprietary software.  Hence MMTTY (free as in
beer, though not as in speech) and N1MM's logger (same).  Not quite the
licensing terms I'm used to in the non-M$ world but close enough.  I will
pay for good software that does the job, i.e. ARC250 and ARC780 for my
scanners, but I will go to great lengths to avoid doing it.

ANYWAY ... N1MM's logger looks interesting.  However, it says -- right
there in the instructions -- not to try to learn the package *during* the
contest.  If the folks that work on that package are here, I can provide a
testimonial that this is *very true*.  :-)  I *will* learn the package,
but for WPX it was a bust (for me - the software itself is fine!).

I was able to get it functioning with the MMTTY engine (which I updated to
v1.65) and even attached my old 15" monitor to the Fujitsu laptop I use to
get an extra 1024x768 of screen real estate for all the panels.  Would
have been real cool with the MMTTY engine up top along with the mults,
rate windows, etc, and the terminal window down on the touch screen ...
but ...  didn't have the patience to set up all the macros ...

Ah, well.

So, I did the test with MMTTY.  Not a bad contest logger at all with one
minor exception and one major exception, both of which are related.

Minor:  No mult tracking, no rate tracking, no "contesty" features beyond
the QSO button (which works fine).

Major:  No scoring!

This last is where I need help.  I can't submit the log without a claimed
score so what I need is a tool that takes either the Cabrillo or "mdt"
files from MMTTY and calculates the score!

Help!

I made 350 QSOs, so doing this by hand is not an option ... especially
since my hand is still sore from filling out the half pound of QSLs I sent
off to the BURO yesterday ...  :-)

73,
Peter
N5UWY/9

--
Peter Laws | plaws plaws net | "They that can give up essential Liberty to
				obtain a little temporary safety deserve