[RTTY] RTTY Growth

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Fri Feb 20 10:44:31 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, J. Edward (Ed) Muns wrote:

-> Even though I am a life member of ARRL and have received QST since the
-> 1950's, I much prefer to review contest results on the web.  In fact, I

-> Don't mean to be argumentative, but to offer a different perspective by
-> one who sees this as a positive change.

As one who has been on the net for as long as I've been a ham (13 years
this summer), which is just a little longer than I've been in the IT biz,
I don't *want* to have to go to the web just to see the scores.  Or the
Section News for that matter.  I'm on the net all day - why have to do
that at home as well?

And no, the irony of choosing to work computer-based RTTY is not lost on
me! :-)

Then there's the issue of history:  I can look up your scores from the
1950s in the library.  Your grandkids won't be able to look up my scores
fifty years from now.

There used to be two ways for Joe (or Jane) Average to get his station's
call in _QST_: Participate in a contest or do something noteworthy in your
section.  Both those avenues are gone now.

I have no issue with the scores being on the web; I do object to the
scores *not* being in _QST_.

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9