[RTTY] 2004 RTTY Roundup -lets stir the pot again!

Marty Tippin martyt at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 18:20:46 EST 2004

It's pointless to argue this SO2R thing for long, but...

I believe that there is a significant advantage held by a good SO2R
operator, particularly in RTTY contests and to a much lesser degree in CW
and phone contests.

The pacing of a RTTY contest and the exchanges involved allows for most of
the good SO2R operators to actually RUN on two frequencies at the same time
- simply use the lock-out control in WriteLog and you'll never transmit two
signals at the same time. And it's easy to adjust your messages so that the
CQ is about the same length as the exchange. All you have to do is get into
the rhythm of calling CQ on one radio while listening to an incoming
exchange on the other - takes a little practice but isn't that hard to master.

To me, the ability to seamlessly run two frequencies at the same time, even
if only one signal is on the air at a time, is what makes it impossible for
the one-radio guys to compete with SO2R.

Perhaps a band change rule for single ops would level the playing field a
bit - maybe something like 12 band changes per hour - that's way more than
the average single op would need, but few enough to make the SO2R guys
either demand their own category or be more sly in how they do their operating.

-NW0L