[RTTY] 2004 RTTY Roundup -lets stir the pot again!

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 10:02:55 EST 2004

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:40:27 -0000, Barry  wrote:
>
>> I can also tune in a RTTY signal
>> without using any tuning aids.  I'm sure other long-time RTTYers can
>> do the same, if not more.

> You must have that hearing ability known as "perfect pitch".  I and
> many
> others can come close, but not exactly right.

I am always surprised how close I can come and I am not perfect pitch
by any means (in fact, I have a constant low level ringing in the
ears).

I do S&P almost all the time, and the frequent exercise probably helps.
  Quite often, I would S&P to a signal by ear, and then looked up at the
crossed ellipse display to find myself within 20 Hz or so.  One day, I
should see if I am better at the end of a contest than at the beginning
of one.

Also, when the FSK signal is not completely in the passband of the rig,
I find it is easier to tune for the center by ear than with a cross
banana display.

73
Chen, W7AY