[RTTY] FSK origin

Tom Osborne w7why at charter.net
Sat Jan 24 15:15:38 EST 2004

-----
From: John Orton
To: Tom Osborne
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK origin

>Tom.

>Thanks for the information.
>I should have been more descriptive in asking the question, as >to
when it came to be.

HI John

I would think sometime after WW2.  A lot of the old machines became
available through surplus suppliers after the war.

First machine I had was an old model 14 strip printer.  You used to
have to time them to your 60 cycle house current, just like timing a
car.  There was a tuning fork you could get to time the motor.  The
motor had timing marks on it just like a car and you would thump the
tuning fork and look through it.  When you could see the marks, like
the marks on a flywheel, you had the motor in time.

I had a model 15 made by, of all people, Hallicrafters company.  Wayne
Green was the editor of CQ back in the 60's and he helped a lot to get
rtty going.   I know when I got my licence in '54, rtty was going
strong then.   73
Tom W7WHY