[RTTY] FSK origin

W0YR at aol.com W0YR at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 18:46:30 EST 2004

There was a story in QST within the past 18 months about a ham who "invented"
the walkie talkie.  He also developed a system to transmit teletype signals
over radio.  He invented a lot of other things, too.  I am sorry I can't
remember his name or call.  I do recall that his picture was shown along with the
QST story.  Radio-teletype was not developed for amateur use.  Later, amateurs
(once the FCC okayed FSK transmission) adapted the FSK techniques.

Others have correctly written that the first amateur uses of FSK involved 850
Hz shift.

If anyone has access to the December QST issues of recent years, he might
look in the index and find the article.   It's worth reading and I wish I had
saved it.

73

Mike
W0YR