[RTTY] RE:UKDX Contest & condx

f6irf at free.fr f6irf at free.fr
Mon Jul 12 11:54:03 EDT 2004

Hi Phil

>Patrick F6IRF said that conditions were not good. Hhhmmm! Not sure I agree -
>at least as far as the CW was concerned, as 10m was WIDE open to EU and
>occasionally to the US.

Yes you are right - 10m has been open most of the time via E's - with a few
transatlantic multi-hops E's openings (July is statisticaly the best month for
transatlantic E's). I've tried CQ'ing several times on 10, hearing the activity
in the CW segment... no way, but just because everybody was stacked between
14080 and 90, and that "everybody" was a limited number of stations.
But still think that 20m and 15 condx were below average DXwise; probably also
due to the E's; JA7IC and K9MUG for example, were far below their usual level
on 20m - and I did not log a single W on 15m...
The 20m was also almost dead when I woke-up just before sunrise, which was not
the case the weeks before.

The problem of E's, is that you have to be at the right place both ends, and
100kms is often enough to make the QSO possible or not...

Anyway fully agree with you about "There seemed to be a distinct lack of
anything promoting this contest"... and I think that it's clear that this
contest has to find another place in the calendar and do better promotion, or
it will disapear.

Patrick

PS:As you can see only 1 hop E's QSO's on 10/15 (the only exceptions being 4X -
at least 2 E-hops - and a few JA's all worked just above the noise)

Band/Mode: 15
 =============

 4X     Israel                                     4X6UU
 9A     Croatia                                    9A2DI
 DL     Fed. Rep. of Germany                       DC3HB        DG2OBL
DJ3IW
 EA     Spain                                      EA1AKS       EC1DQN
 EU     Belarus                                    EU1MM
 F      France                                     F8BNN
 G      England                                    G4OGB        G3UHU
G8VOI
 GM     Scotland                                   MM3KDZ
 I      Italy                                      IK0YUO       IK3ASM
IK7AFM
 JA     Japan                                      JA1IRH       JA2KCY
JH2BTM
 OE     Austria                                    OE2KWN
 OH     Finland                                    OH5VG        OH4LRP
OH9GIT
 OK     Czech Republic                             OK2BXW       OK1FRG
 PA     Netherlands                                PA7HPH
 S5     Slovenia                                   S53S         S57MYY
S57MYY
 SM     Sweden                                     SM7BHM
 SV     Greece                                     SX3A
 UA     European Russia                            R3/DL2GH     RW4WZ
UA4FX
 UR     Ukraine                                    UR5SEH
 YL     Latvia                                     YL3FW        YL2BR
 YO     Romania                                    YO2RR

 Confirmed = 0, Worked = 21, Outstanding = 0

 Band/Mode: 10
 =============

 9A     Croatia                                    9A2DI
 DL     Fed. Rep. of Germany                       DG2OBL
 EI     Ireland                                    EI4AL
 EU     Belarus                                    EU1MM
 G      England                                    G8VOI        G3UHU
 I      Italy                                      IK7AFM
 OK     Czech Republic                             OK2BXW
 UA     European Russia                            UA6ADC       UA4FX
 UA2    Kaliningrad                                RU2FL
 YL     Latvia                                     YL3FW
 YO     Romania                                    YO2RR

 Confirmed = 0, Worked = 11, Outstanding = 0