[RTTY] Yaesu FT-920 setup - HELP!!

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue Jul 13 15:36:26 EDT 2004

Kyle, if you're using a BUXCOMM interface that utilizes a 4N25 or similar
optoisolator, I'm not a bit surprised it won't key as expected.  Do youself
a favor - Make a plug for your rig's FSK ACC connector with a wire coming
out for ground and FSK SHIFT.  With the rig in RTTY mode, put it in transmit
manually and then short the wires together intermittently and see if you get
the expected tone shifts.  If so, and I believe you will, then it proves the
4N25 interface will not key the Yaesu.  It may appear to short using a VOM,
but it's actually not low enough to key the stubborn Yaesus.  If it doesn't
key manually, then there's some other problem with the rig itself.  Let us
know what happens.  This has been documented somewhat by more than one of us
previously.  Maybe W7AY would care to comment?

I was on vacation out of town last week and might have lost track of this
thread - sorry if my post is redundant somehow.  73 - John, WA9ALS