[RTTY] NAQP from Europe

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 13:52:00 EDT 2004

Well, that was interesting, to spend a short time trying to give a few
points away. This is one of those contests where it's nice to have a
short name, and all my own too :-)

Signals on 20 were weak and watery, and I wasn't hearing much at all. In
spite of running more power than you guys, there was a lot of AGN? in
both directions. Only 17 QSOs from 2200-2250, so...

I got up early at 0330 to take a look on 40, which was in much better
shape. It's kind of tricky to venture up there into the US RTTY segment,
but there wasn't much SSB activity at that time, and I restricted myself
to S&Ping stations on clear frequencies. Still didn't penetrate anything
like so far south and west as normal, though. After an hour I had worked
out all the stations I could hear. Instead of running pileups, 5U5B and
ET3TK were struggling too.

80m was full of static - I heard a few RTTY stations at CW-copiable
strengths, presumably you guys, but MMTTY couldn't decode anything
through the crashes.

GOOD NEWS - G stations are expected to gain 7.1-7.2MHz in October, so
that will begin to take some pressure off the low end. We can hope for
other countries to follow quickly, but the transition period is going to
be real fun.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK