[RTTY] USB to Serial Port Adapter

Scott Keating n4gva at aerog.com
Thu Jun 10 02:28:48 EDT 2004

Brian:

	I use a USB/serial adapter on my laptop in the airplane to drive the
radio PTT while the built-in serial port receives GPS data.  I'm looking at
new laptops and never considered multiple USB adapters may not work so I'm
interested in knowing more about that myself!

	On your other question - I use a cheap USB/serial adapter (from
PCcables.com) with both my desktop and laptop.  My desktop has multiple USB
ports and the adapter will always show up as COM6 (my specification) no
matter what port I use.  I hope that's the info you were looking for.

	There is at least one other non-USB alternative that you might
consider: Socket Communications makes several, I have a single-port card now
that works great, but they make dual and quad cards also.  Their cards are
quite a bit more money than going the USB route, but on the positive side
all the software I've thrown at it sees the Socket card as a traditional
built-in serial port.

73 - Scott, N4GVA