[RTTY] Re: PK232 Question

Richard Kriss aa5vu at arrl.net
Thu Jun 17 12:26:50 EDT 2004

> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:57:46 -0400
> From: "Bob Wanderer" <aa0cy at QUADNET.NET>
> Subject: [RTTY] PK232 Question
> To: "RTTY" <RTTY at CONTESTING.COM>
>
> I've a PK232MBX that seems to be "stuck" in wordout being
> on, even though it (dumb terminal mode) claims that the
> parameter is turned off; and I've set it to off in the dumb
> terminal.  I tried turning it on, hoping that it would then
> be off, but no joy.  It was a PK232 upgraded to a MBX with
> mid-1990 firmware.  Is this normal?  Any ideas?  Should I be
> in a screen other than dumb terminal?
>
> Timewave has not responded to my request for assistance.
>
> Thanks & 73,
> Bob AA0CY

Bob,

It sounds like you are stuck in the KISS mode.  Do you see the cmd: prompt
or AEA blurb when you depress the ON/OFF button? If the answer is NO, you
are stuck in the host mode.

I have an old script I wrote years ago for the White Knight term program
called KISS-OFF that runs on the Mac and it sends a stream of Control-C's
that is how the PK-232 manual tell you to exit the KISS mode. Very hard to
do if you do not have a cmd: prompt.

Maybe others can help with some PC tricks to get you out of the KISS mode.

Good Luck

73, Dick - AA5VU
Austin, TX

(Procedure to reset PK232 to standard non-HOST/KISS mode
(                   by KD5VU  21 Apr 91
(File:  KISSON
(The following routine sends 3 ctl-c chars and waits for cmd: prompt;
(  if cmd: is not seen, cycle repeats.

:tryagain
PAUSE 180
TYPE ^C