[RTTY] Problems with a brand new IC756proII

f6irf at free.fr f6irf at free.fr
Tue Jun 22 07:08:41 EDT 2004

No RTTY contest this weekend, and no propagation on 6m so AA-CW turned to be
the first opportunity to try my brand new IC756proII received Friday from WIMO
Germany...
Finally spent most of the saturday trying to get it work, and finally repacked
it : No VFO (frequency could only be changed through the mic "up/dwn" buttons or
through the CI-V...)
No need to say that this ruined my weekend !
I am now in a big fight with WIMO to get the transceiver reimbursed or
exchanged: The main reason for buying this transceiver was to be able to travel
with it (contests'peditions)... So no way I will accept a transceiver which may
start only when it has decided to...

May see you in F'haffen - was not initialy planning to go, but this may change
my plans!
73's Patrick

To European contesters
A few things that you should know if you plan to buy from Wimo:
-1-
quote We do not test each individual radio which we ship. This is done by the
manufacturer. Such a test is simply not possible, considered the amount of
radios which we ship each day and the manifold functions each radio has.
unquote

-2-
quote  If you plan to come to Friedrichshafen it will only be possible to give
the radio to our service department. An exchange or repair on the spot will
definitely not be possible! unquote

-3-
quote Considering the situation I can only recommend the normal service
procedure: Send the insured packet by post to us, postage to be paid by  you. We
will repair or exchange the radio at our decision. unquote

-4-
quote The situation according to German law is as follows: The customer has the
right to a fully functional device. If the device fails within the first 6
months, the customer has a right to a fully functional device. If this is
achieved by repair or exchange is _the_ _decision_ _of_the_ _vendor_. The vendor
has the right to make three attempts on repair, only if this fails the customer
has a right to exchange to a fully functional unit (not necessarily new!) or
return with a full refund.unquote

-5-
quote The price difference between USA und EU is easily explained by US prices
do not include tax. US prices do not include import fees payable  at the customs
Still the US price is lower than EU, but that's marketing. Take it or leave it,
that's the way our global commercial system works in separate markets. unquote

Note:  WIMO-price EUR2850 <> HRO price $2199
For this price difference (1000EUR) you may think that the transceiver is
clearly identified "EU" (maybe useful for customs when travelling) - it is not !
Externally there is nothing which indicates that this a EU-version; and the
serial number is not even engraved.  There is not either an electronic
serial-number or anything which indicates that this is an EU version. So there
is nothing which links the machine to the invoice... And obviously no additional
service for the price difference...

If I have only one recommendation : Boycott WIMO and ICOM-EU and order from
states!

By the way after the X'ieme master reset, the transceiver finally came to life
this morning. However this is not the end; I will not travel with a transceiver
which I cannot trust and I'll keep fighting til I get the transceiver exchanged
or reimbursed...