[RTTY] W0ETC FD & Health

llindblom at juno.com llindblom at juno.com
Mon Jun 28 14:35:04 EDT 2004

I'm writing this from Mercy Hoapital in Des Moines, IA on my work laptop.  My field day plans tanked when a doctor visit, became, out patient, became a hospital admit as my red dells were down to 6.7 and the white were virtually zero.  The chemo a week ago worked to well and cause my almost non existent immune system to attack the red cells.

I had two units of blood, three days of immune globulin, steroids, procrit, and nuprogin.  All of these to build the red cells back up and get my white cells to where they should be.  This AM the red cells are up to 8.7, the white over 7 and my immune factor is still the problem. I will probably be on oral steroids for several months (pump me up)!

The only negative are blood sugar which the steroid tends to raise, but it is being monitored and managed. With some luck, good care, and continued treatment I will be dismissed once the healthy white cells show an improving trend.  The doctor thinks maybe Tues or Wed and then stay at until they climb high enough for me to return to the world.

As for Field Day, I found a security guard here who let me into the rehab unit ham station and I made all of two Qs as W0ETC 1D on 20 SSB. Then he had to contiue with his rounds and I was back to my room.

Gee, retirement is looking more tempting but I can't afford that right now!

73 W0ETC