[RTTY] DXP38 vs Soundcard stuff

Phil Duff NA4M na4m at arrl.net
Sat Mar 13 01:41:23 EST 2004

At 01:21 3/13/2004, Kok Chen wrote:

>When you are comparing or use any kind of a device that has a A/D
>converter at the input (e.g., Sound Card, DXP38, etc), it is critical that
>the audio levels are adjusted so as to match the range of the converter.

Interesting point and something I've wondered about.

How do we determine what is the "best" input audio level to sound cards
used for MMTTY,  PSK, and other digital modes for optimum receive performance?

Can we just rely on the software's built in input "overload" indicators if
they have such?  Should we adjust the audio input to the point just below
the "overload" indication?   If not where?

73 Phil NA4M