[RTTY] The Makrothen Contest (TMC) - New Date & Time

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Fri Mar 19 05:45:30 EST 2004

"Waldemar DK3VN" <dk3vn at nexgo.de> wrote: "the decision is made!
Date: October 2004 09th - 10th, the 2nd full weekend each year.
Time: Saturday: 00-08, 16-24z, Sunday: 08-16; days and times in UTC."

The time format: identical to SARTG WW, I love! It allows me, if I choose,
to participate for the entire contest, along with being able to do other
things (sleep) that remain a vital part of my "real" life!
The exchange format: unique and a welcome departure from the "599 whatever"!
Personally, as it is nothing more than a formality, I would like to see all
contest(s) remove the RST from the exchange? Other than an acknowledgement
of a contact, I'm not sure I see any relevance? It makes absolute no sense,
to me, to ask for an untold amount of repeats, then send "599 whatever"?

Regardless of a date selected, I doubt if everyone would have been
satisfied? IMHO, Waldemar, along with his associates, attempted to find a
date that least effected the majority of RTTY participants? We all, to some
degree, participate in other mode contest's, and I admire all that support
their "local" contests, whether it be Country or State/Province!
Participating in a contest, regardless of mode, is a choice, nothing more?
IMHO, the responsibility of that choice lies with the participant, and
whatever that choice may be, if "having fun" is not one of the main reasons
for that choice, possibly the choice needs reexamining?

C'Ya, Shelby