[RTTY] Sound Card Comparison (Soundmax On MoBo, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and M-Audio Revolution)

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Wed Mar 24 13:26:51 EST 2004

Bob,

Thanks for pictures. I had been sitting here this morning wondering - if
both the Audigy LS and the Turtle Beach have the same limitations ie no
mute on mike why not go work 24 bits? But Bob points out I have to compare
the 16 bit modes on both card.

Now if I can figure out how to switch my microphone to two radios with out
using the Sound card, I could get two Turtle Beachs. Maybe that is what I
can use the on-board Soundmax for????

Time to experiment

Jerry, W6IHG

At 04:05 AM 3/24/2004 +0000, Robert McGwier wrote:
>On my personal server, you will find
>
>http://n4hy.homelinux.net/Comparison.htm
>

>for a few days.
>
>It is one piece of data I am using for my upcoming QST article.
>
>It contains the graphical treatment of a standard audio card
>test suite output.  The worst of the lot (JUST SAY NO)
>is the Soundmax onboard audio on my motherboard.  The best
>thing I have currently connected is the M-Audio Revolution.
>It is a good, not great, 24 bit sound card.  It should, and
>does have, better noise floor, linearity, dynamic range than
>the rest.  BUT, that is with the card running in 24 bit mode.
>A lot of software, such as MMTTY, PSKCORE, and others do not
>put the card into 24 bit mode even if it would support it.
>
>The best of all the 16 bit cards I have tested is the Turtle
>Beach Santa Cruz.  The SB Live looked about like the Soundmax
>and I tossed it straight into the trash when I got the Turtle
>Beach.
>
>You are looking at frequency response, noise floor, dynamic range,
>total harmonic distortion, and crosstalk between channels.
>
>The two pictures on the main page,
>
>http://n4hy.homelinux.net
>

>are two of the Santa Cruz panels.  First is the input mixer panel
>and the second is the output mixer panel.  The first makes it
>clear that there is no mute on the input and line in and microphone
>are the same control with two different plugs.  Internally, they
>differ by an amplifier for the microphone.
>
>I won't spend a tremendous time here explaining all of this until
>the QST article appears.
>
>Bob
>N4HY

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC