MMTTY AFC, O-scope (Re: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

Don Inbody ad0k at inbody.net
Wed Mar 24 10:58:09 EST 2004

In the Navy, when we used RTTY extensively, it was 850Hz shift, 100 baud.
Of course, we also had the signal encrypted, so that required constant
"diddling" to ensure the crypto remained synchronized.

My question is this: is there any proof that narrow shifts (170Hz for
example) is better than wider shifts (850Hz) for resistance to phase
shifting.  Also, what is the history as to why we settled on 45 baud 170Hz
and not some other.  I know a lot of experimenting went on in the 1950s and
1960s, but can't seem to locate the data.

I did an experiment with 850hz shift the other night, but can't see that it
is any better or any worse.

Just curious,

Don

Don Inbody/AD0K