[RTTY] Region III Band Plan

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 16:51:21 EST 2004

Bill Turner wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:40:29 +0000, Bob Stewart wrote:
>
>>Seems to me that the Region I and II QRP CW ops should re-think their choice
>>frequency. I understand that these "QRP CW" frequecies are nominated on
>>other bands and that they are all within the Region III Data Band Plan.

>Here in Region II, the ARRL has designated 7040 as the RTTY DX calling
>frequency, while for decades 7040 has been recognized as the CW QRP
>calling frequency.  I don't know which came first, but this is clearly a
>recipe for trouble.

It's an old problem. The different regions have different bands, so they
also have to have different band plans inside those allocations. We've
had exactly the same problem in co-ordinating frequencies for
moonbounce, and it's darned hard to do that on a world-wide basis.

The only way to get somewhere is for *all* special interest groups to
stop thinking locally and selfishly, and start thinking globally and
generously.

In the present Region 1 band plan for 40m, exclusive CW is 7000-7035
with a QRP frequency of 7030.

Digital is 7035-7040, and then 7040-7045 is "all modes" (by supply and
demand :-)

7045 -7100 is SSB and other related modes.

Seen from over here, 7040 is the best possible good choice for a
world-wide RTTY DX calling frequency - or more realistically, a center
frequency for activity that could spread either side. It's as high up
the band as we can hope to go on a regular basis.

This problem will be eased a lot in the next few years as our 40m band
is widened... but watch out for more fireworks while some countries have
the new frequencies but others don't!

--
73 from Ian G3SEK